I have been a psychotherapist and trainer since 1978. Before that I studied meditation while in India for nine months (1969) and on return trained as a school teacher (1971-73). On qualifying I worked with troubled adolescents in comprehensive schools whose challenge took me to my own therapy. I attended many humanistic groups in the early 1970s and went on to study child psychotherapy (1973-75), psychosynthesis (1975-78) and family therapy (1980-82). Since reading Hillman’s Revisioning Psychology, I consider myself to be a student of archetypal psychology and attempt to put soulmaking into practice. Another major influence is David Abram who manages to write how I only dream (Becoming Animal & The Spell of the Sensuous)
In 1988 I co-founded ReVision (http://www.re-vision.org.uk), an integrative psychotherapy training with soulful perspective from which retired in 2018. During 2010 I initiated an ecopsychology six-month course with Mary-Jayne Rust. During 2012 I was part of the Welfare group of psychotherapists attempting to support the Occupy movement. Later that year I joined the Climate Psychology Alliance and became chair from 2018 -2020. After forty-five years I have now retired from working with clients and am focusing on bringing psychotherapeutic perspectives and skills to cultural interventions. These include grief and reparative work. [link to workshops on Unravelling and Radical Hope; Remorse, Re-storying and Re-enchantment]
- Climate Psychology at a Cultural Threshold in forthcoming A Matter of Life and Death (2022)Phoenix
- Dance with Persephone in www.unpsychology.org/latest-issue
- Contributed the chapter ‘Culture Crisis’ to Depth Psychology and Climate Change: the Green Book: Mathers (ed). Routledge 2020
- Co-editor and contributor to the ReVision anthology Transformation in Troubled Times (2018) Transpersonal Press
- Contributed the chapter ‘Dangerous Margins’ to the anthology Vital Signs (Karnac, 2012).
- Co-author of Emotions and Needs (OUP, 2002).
- Co-edited the Psychotherapist (2016: 63) on Climate Change, Despair and Radical Hope.
- Author of several articles including, Hungry Ghosts: Psychotherapy, control and the winds of homecoming (Self & Society 2014), Ecopsychology’s Wilding (PPI 2013), The Numinous Psyche IJP (Vol. 18, 2012).
- Co-creator of Borderlands and the Wisdom of Uncertainty course, which in 1989 became the subject of a BBC documentary.
- Paradoxical Perspectives on Cultural Psychotherapy: presentation for Climate Change, nearly carbon free conference: University California 2016.
- Climate Psychology articles and newsletter
- ReVision centre for counselling and psychotherapy
- Mary-Jayne Rust Ecopsychology Resources
- Nick Totton Wild Therapy
- Sarah Deco Storyteller
- Ro Randall Climate resources
- Sally Weintrobe Climate resources
- Unpsychology Magazine
- David Abram
- Culture and Climate Change
- Dark Mountain: end of the world as we know it